MHLC Stewardship Volunteer Calendar
Whether you’re a long-time MHLC volunteer or new to the volunteering community, we invite you to join us at one of these upcoming stewardship volunteer opportunities!
Step 1: Be sure to fill out a volunteer application if you have not volunteered with MHLC before.
Step 2: Review the list below and complete an online registration for each of the stewardship days that you plan to attend.
Step 3: Mark your calendar. Our Stewardship Coordinator, Kent Harlow, will be in touch with you a few days before the stewardship workday(s) to confirm your participation.
- Questions about your registration? For general volunteering questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org. For stewardship-specific questions, email email@example.com.
- Don’t see the right fit for you? Visit our volunteer page to learn about other opportunities, including outreach events, tabling at festivals, helping with office work, and more!
- Sign up for our mailing list to be the first to learn about new volunteer opportunities and our conservation updates!
VOLUNTEER WORKDAYS 2021
Schoharie Creek Preserve Workday
Saturday, May 15 from 9 AM to noon (NEW DATE)
Bog boards will be installed on the western wet section, with potential creekside stair work. Limited to 10 people.
Keleher Preserve Workday
Tuesday, May 11 from 9 AM to noon
Bog boards, trail refurbishment, and signage installation are the tasks for the day. We will remove courdoroy and install bog boards, as well as installing pedestrian crossing and no motorized vehicle signage on Wolf Hill Rd/trail intersections. Limit to 10 people.
Swift Preserve Workday
Wednesday, May 19 from 9 AM to noon
We will work on bog board installation and bridge replacement at Swift. Limited to 10 people.
Wines & Vines Workday at Fox Preserve
Friday, May 28 from 2 – 5 PM
National Wine Day is Tuesday, May 25, but Friday will be more fun! We will be cutting bittersweet vines and doing trail and invasive species management. For participants 21 and older- MHLC staff will bring wine, beer, and cider to enjoy after the workday. Limited to 10 people.
National Trails Day – Bender Melon Farm
Saturday, June 5 from 9 AM to noon
Join us for National Trails Day! We will continue to work to build trails and clean up the property in preparation for an official trail opening. Limited to 15 people.
Bozen Kill Workday
Wednesday, June 9 from 9 AM to noon
We will work on trail refurbishment and bog boards as well as installing water bars and clearing trails. Limited to 10 people.
This season MHLC will limit the use of volunteers for specific workday projects BUT, we ask all hikers on our preserves to help us with the following:
- While hiking, observe the trail conditions. If you see something that needs to be addressed (falling tree, damaged signpost or kiosk, trail overgrowth, etc.), take a picture of the issue and email us with a specific location.
- Please remove sticks or debris off the trail.
- Pick up trash on the trail, in the parking lot, or along the roadside.
If you wish to volunteer or have any further concerns, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please see MHLC’s Guidelines for Volunteering and Social Distancing with Stewardship.
If you are attending a workday this season; you must complete the 2021 Volunteer Work Day waiver.